1st time host farmers
We realise that the thought of opening your farm for LEAF Open Farm Sunday can raise a lot of questions, so here we have tried to give you some answers and guidance on holding an event for the first time.
What is LEAF Open Farm Sunday?
LEAF Open Farm Sunday is the Great British Farm Day! It gives you the opportunity to welcome the public onto your farm and show them what farming is all about so that visitors can fully appreciate the work you do. It was set up in 2006 and continues to be managed by the leading environmental charity LEAF (Linking Environment And Farming).
What do I have to offer?
Every farm has a story to tell – your life on the farm, the history of your farm, your crops and what they are used for, the journey of your product, your farm machinery, the livestock, the seasonality of crops.
Why would I take part?
Research shows that getting people out onto a farm to meet a farmer and see real farming up close has a huge positive impact: changing people’s attitudes to buying more British produced food; building community relations; educating the public, raising the profile of your farm and the whole farming industry.
Now, more than ever, farmers need to gain public support for the vital work you do and LEAF Open Farm Sunday provides the ideal platform to do just this. Join hundreds of farmers across Britain and take part in the farming industry’s annual open day on Sunday 10th June 2018.
This website has lots of information to help you start thinking about organising an event for LEAF Open Farm Sunday. Make sure you register your event then you will receive the host farmer handbook packed with lots of hints and tips to help you organise an event.
Interested, but not ready to register yet?
If you’re keen to host a LEAF Open Farm Sunday event, but you’re not ready to register yet, why not sign up for email updates and we’ll keep you up to date with our plans, and give you an occasional nudge to help you get started!
Last year 88 farmers hosted their first LEAF Open Farm Sunday event and enjoyed the experience. If you have any questions or want to speak with an experienced host farmer please get in touch with LEAF: 024 76 413911 firstname.lastname@example.org. When you’re ready, please register your event here.
Do you want to talk it through?
Do you have questions or would like to know more? We’d be happy to help so please call the LEAF office 024 76 413 911 or email us: email@example.com.
What host farmers said…
- “Awesome result. We found that people are genuinely interested in what we do.”
- “Best ever Open Farm Sunday. Farm was packed. Lovely atmosphere.”
- “A fantastic event with a steady flow of visitors throughout the day. Really positive feedback from young and old. A great community relations’ event, and helps to improve the public’s understanding of agriculture.”
- “It was a good opportuntiy for people who are aware of our farm and have heard of us to actually come and visit and get closer to the animals.”
What visitors said…
- “The technology now for milking cows is amazing! I had no idea!”
- “That all the brussels sprouts grown had already been sold - all 48 acres of them!”
- “The role of robotic milking, feeding the animals, reproduction of pigs, anatomy of a cow, sheep shearing and price of its coat - it was endless - I learnt so much!!!”
- “How much LEAF Marque farmers do to help the environment.”
- “Some of the equipment is so expensive that it is shared.”
- “Just how farmers really pull together to make these events as great as they possibly can.”
- “To sum it up in one sentence - a phenomenal and educational day out. Girls and me would come again.”
As an Open Farm Sunday host farmer, we ask you to:
• Show best practice in your area of farming
• Inform your insurance company (many do not charge a premium)
• Complete a risk assessment before the event (LEAF provides a template) and ensure health and safety arrangements will be in place on the day • Provide adequate hand washing facilities if your visitors contact livestock
Resource packages available to order
We are launching three different resource packages for Open Farm Sunday 2018, these are designed to cater for the different types of event you might hold.
Remember a small farm walk is just as important as a larger event.
Do what suits you and your farm…
LEAF Open Farm Sunday is completely flexible so that all farmers can get involved – whether you host a private event or public event, or a farm walk or open your farm to all visitors. It is up to you to decide on what you are comfortable, what it is you would like to share with the public – to suit you and your farm. So, if it is your first LEAF Open Farm Sunday you can keep it as small and simple as you want.
Sign up to our mailing list(s)
You are now subscribed!
You are signed up to the mailing list(s) you selected.
If you no longer wish to receive emails from us, every email we send contains a link at the bottom allowing you to unsubscribe with one click.