British farmers rally public support on LEAF Open Farm Sunday – farming’s annual open day
On Sunday 11th June, over 250 farmers across Britain welcomed thousands of people onto farms for farming’s annual open day. Managed by LEAF (Linking Environment And Farming), LEAF Open Farm Sunday offers a wonderful opportunity for visitors to get closer to farming and the people that make it happen. Each event is unique, each farm is different and every farmer too, but what they all share is a passion for farming, amazing expertise, and a commitment to caring for the countryside.
Visiting a working farm provided a brilliant opportunity for people to talk directly with the farmers that produce their food and learn about what is involved in sustainable food production, a topic that is at the forefront of many households.
Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Edinburgh visited Hampton Estate Farms in Surrey today (11th June 2023) to celebrate LEAF Open Farm Sunday – farming’s annual open day. During her visit The Duchess saw first-hand what farming delivers, from meeting the expert bovine vet who cares for the estate’s pedigree herd of Sussex beef cows, learning about the history and process of hop growing, through to seeing the latest John Deere tractor and direct drill technology and hearing about how regenerative farming preserves and enhances biodiversity.
The Duchess met some inspirational young people to hear about how they are forging their careers in the sector. She also met the Estate’s butcher, ‘Simon the Butcher’ who captains Team GB in the World Butchers’ Challenge, and aquatic biodiversity expert Pete (the Pond) Birchall who designed the newly created educational freshwater pond. It was an all-round field to fork experience with The Duchess also enjoying sampling wild roe venison sausages from Hampton.
Annabel Shackleton, LEAF Open Farm Sunday manager said:
“With the public’s growing interest around the environment and sustainability, farming’s annual open day is so important. It offers a unique opportunity for farmers to build support for the industry, showcasing the very best of what they do whilst being fully supported with resources, meetings, event guidance and more. Not only have farmers collectively raised the profile of British food and farming, but we have also inspired a new generation of agri-food professionals.
“There is still a real lack of understanding about where our food comes from, and the full impact of all that farmers do. By taking part in LEAF Open Farm Sunday, farmers continue to help change people’s perceptions and understanding of the industry. We’re calling on all farmers to think about how they can get involved in next year’s LEAF Open Farm Sunday on 9th June and have a real, lasting positive impact in 2024!”
The feedback has been hugely positive, from industry and visitors alike. Mrs Shackleton congratulated all involved:
“We’d like to say a big thank you to everyone who made LEAF Open Farm Sunday 2023 another huge success, particularly all the host farmers, volunteers and our sponsors.”
Next year’s LEAF Open Farm Sunday will take place on Sunday 9th June 2024.
Watch LOFS 2023 highlights video here:
- Email: [email protected] Tel: 02476413911, 07912463151
- Managed by LEAF (Linking Environment And Farming), the farming’s annual open day has been a highlight in the farming calendar since 2006, offering visitors the opportunity to learn about food production, farming and the environment first hand. LEAF Open Farm Sunday is sponsored nationally by: AHDB, Arla Foods, Asda, BASF, Co-op, Defra, Farmers Weekly, Frontier Agriculture, John Deere, LEAF Marque, M&S, NFU, Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Waitrose. All of which play a huge part in encouraging farmers to get involved, promoting the event to the public, as well as support on the day.
- Keep up to date with all the LEAF Open Farm Sunday news and join in the online conversations using #LOFS23:
- Twitter: @OpenFarmSunday
- Facebook: @ LEAFOpenFarmSunday
- Instagram: @OpenFarmSunday
- LEAF Open Farm Sunday is managed by LEAF (Linking Environment And Farming) – the leading organisation delivering and promoting climate positive action, thriving, resilient and exemplar agro-ecological farming at an increasingly global level. Working with farmers, the food industry, scientists, environmentalists, teachers, young people and consumers we are looking at new ways to deliver productivity and prosperity among our farmers, enrich the environment and engage young people and society in a valuable and meaningful way. LEAF set up and has managed LEAF Open Farm Sunday since it began in 2006 (LEAF is a registered charity no: 1045781).
- LEAF Open Farm Sunday 2024 will take place on 9th June 2024. Register to host an event at www.farmsunday.org
Sign up to our mailing list(s)
You are now subscribed!
You are signed up to the mailing list(s) you selected.